Topics

FC - SS Heritage Festival Detail Update

Richard O'Gorman

Team,

I want to alert you to an important expansion in the FC’s/FD’s roles during the festival this year.  In addition to staffing a table to greet visitors and distribute handouts, FC is requested to provide firefighter Rehab during their activities on scene.  (Some FD activities are planned to be conducted 3X on Saturday and 2X on Sunday.)  The current long range forecast calls for a high of 93 on Saturday and 95 on Sunday!

SSFD posted the following on their Facebook page: “Come on out to the Sandy Springs Heritage Festival Saturday 9/28 and Sunday 9/29.  SSFD will be hosting live demonstrations of some of our trucks and gear and conducting some training scenarios to show you how we train to do what we do.  We will also have some examples of our Department Physical Agility Test (PAT) with live demonstrations.  Come out and try your hand at being “Firefighter Fit!”  Cheer on your favorite firefighters as they go head to head in the “Two Minute Drill.”  Watch our crews train to save lives during cardiac emergencies.  We will be located in the South Parking Lot at the intersection of Hilderbrand and Blue Stone Road.”

No one has requested yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if FC is also requested to offer/provide Rehab for civilians who try the PAT.

Reggie is taking responsibility for getting 580 to/from this detail.  He’ll likely drive it up for the City Green Concert First Aid/Rehab detail on 9/27 and leave it in place for the weekend starting that night.  If FC is called out during the overnight hours, the 580 Driver/2nd Rider will need to get the keys from the key box at Station 2 before picking up the truck where it will be staged for the festival.  Will update on any plans regarding deployment of 580 and keeping it stocked throughout the weekend.

Andrea is one of the officials running the festival, so she will not be functioning as a regular member of the FC crew.  And it looks like I will not be available to participate either, although certainly reachable throughout the weekend.  We have a pre-planned command hierarchy for these situations (attached and posted on the Google Drive).  This should determine who has the FC lead on scene and who should be the primary contact for Reggie and FD Command (I assume Chief Adams).  Please contact me directly if you have questions.

More to follow as we receive updates.

Thanks to all who participate!

Richard O’Gorman

Captain, SSFD Fire Corps

770-500-0307

r_og@...

Richard O'Gorman

Team,

Reggie just shared the schedule of events SSFD will be putting on at the festival (below).  I believe the “Combat Challenge” is essentially the same as the PAT, and when Rehab will be most important.  And if you’re wondering, the “Two Minute Drill” is a competition between FF’s to see who can dress out in full gear and SCBA the fastest.

Saturday

Sunday

09:00

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

10:00

Squad 53 Demo

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

11:00

Two Minute Drill

Combat Challenge

12:00

Combat Challenge

13:00

Tower 52 Demo

14:00

Station 2 Units

Two Minute Drill

15:00

Mega-Code (Cichosz)

Combat Challenge

16:00

Two Minute Drill

17:00

Combat Challenge

This program sounds awesome!  If anyone has the opportunity to video the “Mega-Code,” please do so.  I have a feeling it could be a valuable training aid for FC EMR’s/EMT’s.